Driving Skills Programme
Due to increased demand, changes in legislation, and lack of new entrants, LGV driver is the fourth biggest skills shortage nationally (UKCES, 2014).
The Driving Skills Programme is a training and recruitment scheme, run in partnership with Scania, North East Lincolnshire Council and Jobcentre Plus. The programme is designed to ease the lorry driver skills shortage by funding and arranging training for eligible candidates selected by local logistics companies to fill their driver vacancies.
The programme’s training and recruitment model has proved successful in supplying newly qualified drivers to many Humber based logistics companies since its original launch in 2014. In excess of 50 new drivers have been trained through this Programme and found employment in this sector as a result.
A new 2016 -17 programme will be delivered across Northern Lincolnshire and local logistics companies with driver vacancies are asked to contact us to get involved.
What’s on offer?
- Hassle free help in recruiting potential drivers
- Candidates you can select for your business
- A work trial to ensure they fit with your organisation
- Funded category C / CE training including mandatory CPC
- A newly qualified and motivated driver
How it works:
- You talk to us about your vacancies
- We source local jobseekers keen to become LGV drivers
- You select candidates suitable for your vacancies
- You host a work trial alongside an experienced driver
- We arrange and pay for driver training
The Road Haulage Association says: "In these days of ‘growing your own’ we believe this is an invaluable opportunity for members to get ‘one grown for you’ - to generate yourself a driver new to the industry with their full licence and Drivers CPC already in place."
If you would like to find out more about how the scheme can help your business, please contact Tracey Dennis on 01472 622276 / Tracey.Dennis1@DWP.gsi.gov.uk.