European Maritime and Fisheries Fund (EMFF)
The EMFF is the fund for the EU's maritime and fisheries policies for 2014-2020.
It is one of the five European Structural and Investment (ESI) Funds which complement each other and seek to promote a growth and job based recovery in Europe.
About the EMFF
The EMFF is a European funding scheme which will support fisheries, inland waters, aquaculture and maritime sectors. The fund provides support for sustainable development within the fishing and aquaculture sectors and conservation of the marine environment, alongside growth and jobs in coastal communities. The purpose of the scheme is to provide European Member States with a financial support mechanism to the fisheries, inland waters, aquaculture and maritime sectors. The scheme will help reach economic, environmental and social goals and will enable European Member States to:
- help fishermen in the transition to sustainable fishing
- support coastal communities in diversifying their economies
- finance projects that create new jobs and improve quality of life along European coasts
- make it easier for applicants to access financing
The UK has €243 million (around £190 million) of the programme which is split between England (€92.1 million), Scotland (€107.7 million) Northern Ireland (€23.5 million) and Wales (€19.7 million).
The aims of the EMFF is structured around 6 priorities, each with several specific objectives. All of these are supported by specific measures.
- Promoting sustainable, resource efficient, innovative, competitive and knowledge based fisheries
- Fostering sustainable, resource efficient, innovative, competitive and knowledge based aquaculture
- Fostering the implementation of the CFP
- Increasing employment and territorial cohesion
- Fostering marketing and processing
- Fostering the implementation of the Integrated Maritime Policy
What EMFF funds can support
The fund provides support for sustainable development within the fishing and aquaculture sectors and conservation of the marine environment, alongside growth and jobs in coastal communities in the UK. You can apply for funding for things like:
- investments on board fishing vessels
- gear replacements
- improvements to shore-based facilities
- advisory services, partnerships, training and innovation
- investments in fisheries management and seafood processing
- investments in aquaculture, animal health and inland fishing
Details on eligibility criteria can be found in the General Guidance note.
For a general overview of the fund please visit https://www.gov.uk/guidance/european-maritime-and-fisheries-fund-emff-before-you-apply
For more information please visit the guidance note here