Start date for demolition of Grimsby’s high rise flats revealed
18th December 2017
The date when Grimsby’s skyline will begin to change forever with the demolition of East Marsh’s high rise flats has been revealed.
Taking a year to complete using a combination of explosives and machines, work to demolish the six 50-year-old structures will be begin on January 31.
Shoreline Housing Partnership has confirmed that the high-rise blocks which have dominated the skyline for half a century will be blown up and dismantled brick by brick in under two months’ time.
As owners of the empty buildings, Shoreline has submitted a prior notification application for demolition works to begin to North East Lincolnshire Council.
Earlier this year, Shoreline said the colossal task of bringing down the 16-storey buildings could generate up to 40,000 tonnes of rubble.
Despite Tony Bramley, independent adviser to the Shoreline Board, saying in September that the blocks could be replaced by new housing, documents submitted to NELC say that no redevelopment or re-rebuilding works are planned at the site.
Stripping and weakening of the structures will begin in just under two months ready for a series of blasts to level the blocks.
The proximity of Bevan House to the newly-built Strand Court is expected to rule it out from being demolished using explosives.
But the others, Albion House, Nelson House, Garibaldi House, Tennyson House and Thesiger House could be flattened with explosives.
The community once housed up to 2,000 people, including those who lived in the former Comber Place maisonettes.
They were demolished last year by contractors Robinson Birdsell in the biggest demolition project since the Yarborough estate was flattened.
It generated thousands of tonnes of rubble, 5,000 tonnes of which were recycled.
The end of the Albion Street high rises next year will be the biggest demolition in the country.
Mr Bramley has already confirmed that officials will announce in January which buildings will be demolished with large machinery and which will be blown up.
The confirmation of a date for the beginning of demolition works comes as the proposed Shoreline merger with Boston Mayflower is set to be completed by March.
North East Lincolnshire Council gave formal approval to the merger following a formal agreement being reached between Shoreline.
The decision follows an eight-week consultation period with customers, and a final decision on the merger will take place in early 2018, with a newly merged organisation will be launched for the start of the new financial year.
Shoreline is aiming to build 30 to 50 new homes each year in the next few years, and is hoping to see improvements on a massive fall in the average time it takes to let properties from 141 days to 66 days.
Shoreline project manager, Rachel Munoz, said: “Our plans for the demolition of the six high-rise blocks are on track, with the site due to be handed over to contractors for the start of February 2018.
"It's expected to take around 12 months in total and the contractor’s first tasks will be setting up the site.
"The biggest question everyone wants the answer to is whether the towers will be blown up. There are two options for demolishing blocks – ‘chew down’ or blow up – so it could be one or the other or a combination of the two.
"We’ll follow the advice of the professional experts to achieve the safest and least disruptive options. We will keep local people informed but it will certainly mark a major change for this neighbourhood.”
The high-rise blocks and surrounding site continues to be monitored by security.
News Courtesy: www.humberbusiness.com