Conservation Area Grant Scheme: The Kasbah, Grimsby
The scheme is part of the council’s programme of investment and support for the economic regeneration of Grimsby, though the wider Heritage Action Zone (HAZ) and Town Deal.
The Partnership Scheme in Conservation Areas (PSiCA) is a partnership between the council, Historic England and Associated British Ports (ABP).
The project is being delivered over a five-year period starting in Autumn 2019, and is focused on the Kasbah Conservation Area on Grimsby Docks.
The grant scheme is open to current and future tenants on the Kasbah who want to play a key role in reviving this historical area and see it flourish as a commercial centre for Grimsby through heritage-led regeneration.
Key details of the scheme
- Grants are available to tenants for repairs and reinstatement of historic features
- Grants are available for eligible works up to a maximum of 70% of the total project costs and up to a maximum of £150,000 per property
- Grants will be focussed on the re-use of vacant buildings, but can extend to current businesses too
- All works must be carried out to a high standard, using appropriate materials and qualified tradespeople.
The scheme’s aims are to support the economic re-use of heritage assets, including both listed and unlisted buildings within the Kasbah Conservation Area, please see map in the downloads section.
This will support the effective management and maintenance of heritage assets and help to sustain the development of specialist craft skills and employment in the area.
What works are eligible through the scheme?
Work that can supported through this partnership scheme should help to reverse the process of decay whilst maintaining or enhancing the historic interest and character of the Kasbah Conservation Area.
- Roof repairs
- Provision of permanent access to carry out maintenance
- Works to ensure effective removal of rainwater
- External wall repairs
- Repairs to windows and doors
- Repairs to / reinstatement of external features
- Measures to reduce damp
- Professional fees
- Value Added Tax can be reclaimed if you are not VAT registered
- Preliminary costs and insurance.
Works which are not eligible include:
- Conversions, alterations or adaptations of buildings
- Modernisation / removal of historic features
- New build
- Provision or renewal of building services
- Maintenance and minor repairs
- Speculative restoration without evidence for the feature.
What is the application process?
The application process has two main stages:
- An Expression of Interest and in-principle offer which identifies that the project is eligible and allocates an estimated sum to cover the intended works.
- A full application which includes any planning permissions, full detailed designs and a tender for the repair costs.
Expression of interest forms and full grant advice notes are available to download from the links on the right. If you have any enquiries about the scheme please contact the HAZ Project Manager, Stella Jackson at HAZ@nelincs.gov.uk.